Wednesday, September 26, 2012

morning activity

I am not a morning person, never have been.  Even after almost 8 years of living with kids who are hardcore morning people, I have not adapted.  This makes for some very long days, especially as  they "Rise and shine and face the day". Usually, with a plan of action ready to go.
Sometimes that plan is nothing more then to curl up on the couch with a good book (more than likely you'll find N doing this), other times there are full on dragon invasions to defeat.  And then there are plans like the one from yesterday.  Yesterday, N and L woke up  and decided they needed to make pillow for their animals, both stuffed and imaginary (the animals, not the pillows)

They pretty much took care of it all themselves.  I heard the planning and the plotting through an early morning fog, after all it was only 6:45 and while I was headed to the shower, by no means had I actually started to "rise and shine and face the day" .   So, when L asked for the sewing basket I just handed it off to her, without much thought.  



Imagine my surprise when a little head popped into the shower a few minutes later asking if I could thread the needle for her!  "NO, I cannot!"  "Okay, I'll do it myself",  And off she went to do just that.

By the time I had finished showered and getting dressed Patrick ( who is a bit more with it in the morning, still does not have much patience for shenanigans until after his coffee)  had the kitchen table cleared off and the kids were getting ready for breakfast.   L was bummed that the sewing had to be postponed,  I assured her it could be finished after-school.

Ms L, never one to let an idea go, came home from school ready to finish what she had started.  (N, meanwhile had new library books to read and opted out of the sewing circle)  We had a to start over a bit, as Ms L was attempting to sew 5 teeny strips of fabric into a pillow.  With a little assistance, she cut out one bigger piece and figured out on her own that she could fold it and then just sew a seam.  And that's just what she did.  She sewed and stuffed her teeny pillow and proudly showed it off.  When asked what animal or Barbie she was going to give the pillow to she said, "Oh, it's for N's puppy.  She needs a good night's sleep".  And with that she gave the pillow to her brother and Bo (beau? Bow?) - "Like the puppy at the White House" - did indeed get a good night's sleep.




No comments: