Tuesday, April 15, 2008

sharing a love of music

I love musicals! I grew up on Showtunes, I can name a showtune and/or musical for every letter of the alphabet, and can sing selections from even more. When I was young I would sit at my bedroom window and sing the slower songs to the outside world. This would often take place on summer evenings when I had to go to bed at 8:30 and it was still light out. While the neighbors caught up on the latest gossip and news, their cool Milwaukie's best cans sweating as much as they were in the Iowa humidity, I would serenade them. "Where is Love?", "(I must have done) Something good", "Over the Rainbow" and on and on... At some point Dad would look up at my window and tell me to go to bed, but I swear there was always a twinkle in his eye when he would do so.

As my life went on I participated in musicals in high school, both on and off stage. I have stage managed many a Musical and, honestly, I think I deserve a medal for stage managing "The Wizard of Oz" three seasons in a row. (The final year I was literally dreaming the show forwards and backwards!!) I have been known to burst into Musical numbers at random both in the house and in public. It's just part of who I am.

I am now the mother of two beautiful children, and despite the fact that my husband is NOT a big Musical fan, they are learning many a showtune. I was pleasantly surprised to hear my son singing a number from Oliver! just last week. Imagine my surprise to learn that it wasn't "Who will buy" or even "ooom-pah-pah" but rather "Oliver" the song where Mr. Bumble berates the boy and threatens to 'feed him on cockroaches served in a canister"!

And the legacy continues - enjoy

7 comments:

Anonymous said...

That is the BEST!! Oliver was one of my favorite movies when I was 6. I remember playing it on the playground at school--making all my friends learn the words and everything.

Thanks for the smile! And now I'll be singing that song all day...

Anonymous said...

OH MY GAWD, that was adorable!!!
You made me smile.
XOX,
Sus

Kimbolily said...

Aw! That is about the cutest ever.

I too grew up singing show tunes at all hours of the night and day...Still do for that matter.

Yay for continuing a tradition

Anonymous said...

OMG!! I watched the video of Noah, and it was the cutest thing ever! I was also brought up with a love for musicals! That's how I met Devin in high school - during "Oliver!" of all shows! He played Mr. Brownlow, and I was a lowly Rose Seller. It was always my dream to be casted as a lead character or the comedic supporting role. I never got the chance in high school. I thought I'd get the opportunity my senior year when we did "Bye Bye Birdie." I was hoping for the role of either Rosie or Mr. Macafee. Instead, they gave those roles to 2 girls who couldn't sing a lick! Now one of them is on Broadway and the other is playing Starbuck in the new Battlestar Galactica. :-P No fair! Then, in college I auditioned for "Crazy for You," and they told me they didn't cast me because I was "unusually sized." Needless to say, I gave up that dream after that. But, I still get my "fix" for performing with the Westside Singers, even if it's not in a play.
Thanks for sharing! ~Emily :-)

Mead said...

A star is born! That was fabulous, Noah's obviously a natural. And by the way, CAW, I figured out why it took me six hours to see the video -- my system was defaulting to the park post, for some reason. Mystery solved, though not very interestingly.....

Anonymous said...

After weeks of trying to watch (and listen) to this clip I finally succeeded! HE IS A NATURAL and clearly your son (arms flourish and all). Love our sweet Noah...J

Marc Acito said...

It's never too early to indoctrinate your children into the ways of show tunes. Congrats.