Monday, February 4, 2008

how to beat cabin fever

Sunday arrived in our fair household this weekend and I found myself telling Noah "no" for the umteeth time. As I watched his face crumble in disappointment yet again, I knew it was time to do something, anything. So, we decided it was time to get out of the house.

If you know our house you know it's small and getting smaller with each passing winter day each additional toy, rock, sticker,or any of the other treasures so vitally important to an almost three year old boy. (Luckily, the one year old has yet to begin to amass any collections of her own, yet)The endless rainy days, combined with runny noses and nap times that refuse to be coordinated, end up leading to too many days that go by without a good dose of fresh air. Sunday we changed all that.


We loaded up the car, two kids, kidpack, boots, extra pants, diapers, camera, snacks, toys for the ride, clean socks -and this was just for a trip across town! "We are going on adventure" we tell Noah. "Where are we going?" he asks time and time again. A question that can grate on one's nerves after awhile, but just knowing we were heading for an outdoor location gave me the patience to hang on. "Somewhere to run,"I answer. This ,of course, leads Noah to the conclusion that we are headed for a race. It took me awhile to connect the dots, (Mom's are awfully slow some days.) When he mentioned a race I asked, "a car race?" "Noooo... a running race" ahhh, I see.

Finally we reached our destination Tryon Creek State Park. A lovely day use park near Lewis and Clark College. A place with trees and trails and, as Noah pointed out, "more mud!" it was perfect. Noah got to run, splash, touch and explore. Lucy got a nap in the fresh air and Mommy and Daddy got some much needed exercise and an oportunity to enjoy the company of each other and their children once again. It was just what the doctor ordered.


In addition to getting outside I also had an opportunity to practice the art of swallowing my fears and letting go. Ssomething they neglect to tell you about when you have babies- that from the minute you give birth to them you are learning how to help them to be people on their own, and that in order to do this you've got to let go a little more each day. This includes letting your child run a little ahead of you without stopping him with every three feet, letting him walk up the steep hill on his own (and sighing, just a little, when he reaches for your hand). You let him run ahead to the bridge trying not to envision it breaking and crashing into the raging river (okay, it's just a creek) below. These are all things you do. And with each leap ahead your heart is joyous to watch your child grow and become more and more independent. Your heart also breaks a teeny tiny bit to know that this moment will never come again... And then you embrace the joy, racing on to catch up with the child jumping into his umpteeth mud puddle and you know it's a good good day.

3 comments:

Kimbolily said...

I'm glad you had a great day at the park. I love mud puddles too! Missed you guys on Sunday.

Mead said...

CAW, you and your husband are killing me! How can I live vicariously through you if you're not going to post compulsively? At this rate I'll never reach agoraphobe status.

Anonymous said...

Hi,
I got to your blog from Mead's blog.
To your statement, "Something they neglect to tell you about when you have babies..." I completely resonate. It's a long, long letting go of the young ones in our lives. For the young people close to me I sometimes have to think, "OK now what do I want her daughter to have from her..." and proceed as visualized.