Sunday, July 22, 2012

Sewing

Ms L informed me that she was going to make some clothing for her dolls, Barbie (c) and baby.   "I need some material."  Now, as a stage manager, I may have a basic sewing kit on hand, but material, not so much.  So, Ms. L called my sister Robbin and asked if she had any material.  I expected that Robbin would have some material and would offer to share it.  Low and behold not only did she have material but she came over and helped Ms L make a skirt/dress for her Barbies (c) Pinky-Purple Pie and Rapunzel.

Ms L did most of her own sewing, I was so impressed and in awe.  I am not a seamstress and certainly don't remember having the patience at 5 to sit quietly stitching.  I remember at the age of 10 or 12 fancying myself to be Laura Ingalls Wilder and I dressed in a long skirt and a bonnet and sat on a small stool doing cross stitch.  But,  that was a short lived phase and I enjoyed the dressing up and imaging Pa Ingalls was my father more then I ever enjoyed the sewing.  (And then there was that disastrous wrap skirt I made to earn my sewing badge in Girl Scouts).  I am so grateful to have sisters who are skilled in this department and willing to share their passion with Ms. L.

There were a few tangles, or "Spaghetti messes" as Ms L called them.  Robbin patiently helped her untangle them and Ms. kept on working.  I think that Ms. L expected to be able to make several outfits in one day.  She spent several minutes trying to figure out how to make a shirt for Rapunzel to wear with her skirt. "Should I make a t-shirt big enough to fit me or what?"   Luckily, she was distracted enough by life that she wandered away and Robbin was able to escape without having to freehand a shirt pattern, too!









No comments: