Tuesday, October 13, 2009

What I learned today


Today I learned to always check that the keys you grab on your way out the door are actually the keys to the door. I learned that libraries close when the power outage lasts longer the 10 minutes. I learned that coffee shops, however, will stay open whether they can run the register or not.


Today I learned that you might be able to get the screens off the windows to the house, but if the panes are shut tight there's no breaking in. I learned that using a credit card or debit card is not really an efficient way to get back into your house. I learned that it is possible to climb on top of two lawn chairs w/out falling (don't try this one at home kids) but it really doesn't give you that much more height.


Today I learned my kids are troopers. That to them being locked out of the house w/out keys or cellphone is not a big deal. A trip to the coffee shop and then the local art store are a grand adventure. (why I had my debit card in my pocket is still a mystery, but I'll thank the fairies for it just the same) I learned that pretty much, as far I can tell, my entire neighborhood works day jobs. (or won't open their house to a strange women and two kids) I learned that even on the windiest of fall days L would rather take her coat off then wear it, 'any more time!'


Today I learned that swinging on the neighbors front porch w/my kids is a great joy and I'm secretly glad no one was home. I learned that there is plenty adventure to be had in my neighborhood even when the wild winds are blowing, the power is out and no else seems to be home.


Today I learned that sometimes an unfortunate turn of events can be turned into a grand adventure. Although I'm sure its safe to say that by the end of the 2nd hour we were all tired of our new coloring books (that we could only read as the colors are in the house), and playing hopscotch in the wind.


Note to self - grab the right keys and put you cellphone in your pocket!

3 comments:

Rois said...

I should give you my Mom's address ,she lives right up the hill from you.
Rois

Joie said...

At least in the thick of it you chose to learn. Acceptance and living in the moment goes a long way to enjoying life.

h e r e x a c t l y said...

girl, you totally rock.

i love what you learned today. (okay, a few days ago). nothing like a little unexpected adventure to recharge places that may have been forgotten.

i haven't written much about it yet, but the majority of my london trip was like what you describe here. three days of 'normal' wow this is london how cool i'm going to class all organized just the way i had planned, and then two weeks of: this is me with a broken ankle moving through london with all my plans in the shitter.

and the unexpected moments of bliss or grace, or even fear and sadness: tremendous.

you on the porch swing. fucking love that.

one of mine was taking 35 minutes to make my way across the millennium bridge. couldn't go any faster than that, which meant i watched the light from london bridge, to blackfriar's, to st. paul's change bright to dark, bright to dark, bright to dark - sun going into and out of the clouds over and over.

i did, however, have my cell phone with me. :)